|Protein Name||Complement C3|
|Ref Sequence ID||NP_001035559.2|
|Protein Existence Status||Reviewed: Experimental evidence at protein level|
|Presence in other biological fluids/tissue/cells||serum,|
|Protein Function||Component of innate immune system; host mechanism for detection and clearance of potential pathogens; stimulates mast cell degranulation, plays an important role in chemotaxis and serves as a precursor of the acylation stimulating protein through its interaction with carboxypeptidase B; special marker of chronic inflammation|
|Significance in milk||Protection o mammary gland; increased resistance to breast-fed infants against infections; defeciency leads to an increased risk of mastitis;|
|PTMs||Glycosylated; N-linked high-mannose carbohydrate moieties are attached at residues 917 of the α-chain and 63 of the ß-chain|
| Site(s) of PTM(s) |
|CATH|| Matched CATH superfamily |
|Predicted Disorder Regions||NA|
|TM Helix Prediction||1TMH; (7-29)|
|Bibliography||1. Hase, S., Kikuchi, N., Ikenaka, T., and Inoue, K. (1985) Structures of sugar chains of the third component of human complement. J. Biochem. 98, 863–874. |
2. Prentice, A., Prentice, A. M., and Lamb, W. H. (1985) Mastitis in rural Gambian mothers and the protection of the breast by milk antimicrobial factors. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg. 79, 90–95.
3. Buescher, E. S. (2001) Anti-inflammatory characteristics of human milk: how, where, why. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 501, 207–222.
4. Széplaki, G., Prohászka, Z., Duba, J., Rugonfalvi-Kiss, S., Karádi, I., Kókai, M., Kramer, J., Füst, G., Kleiber, M., Romics, L., and Varga, L. (2004) Association of high serum concentration of the third component of complement (C3) with pre-existing severe coronary artery disease and new vascular events in women. Atherosclerosis 177, 383–389.
5. Hirani, S., Lambris, J. D., and Müller-Eberhard, H. J. (1986) Structural analysis of the asparagine-linked oligosaccharides of human complement component C3. Biochem. J. 233, 613–616.
6. Hase, S., Kikuchi, N., Ikenaka, T., and Inoue, K. (1985) Structures of sugar chains of the third component of human complement. J. Biochem. 98, 863–874.