|Protein Name||Serum amyloid A protein|
|Ref Sequence Id||NP_001068728.1|
|Amino Acid Lenth||130|
|Protein Existence Status||Reviewed: Experimental evidence at protein level|
|Protein Function||Acute phase proteins; role in increased cholesterol efflux from macrophages at sites of tissue injury; pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory; suggested roles of alkaline SAA is upregulation of mucin expression in newborn calf intestinal mucosa and enhanced mucosal immunity of the newborn|
|Biochemical Properties||Presence of multiple highly alkaline isoforms in bovine milk|
|Significance in milk||markers of subclinical inflammation in ruminants; two acidic serum SAA isoforms (pI 5.5 and 4.5) in the subclinical mastitis;|
|Bibliography||1. Kovačević-Filipović, M., Ilić, V., Vujčić, Z., Dojnov, B., Stevanov-Pavlović, M., Mijačević, Z., and Božić, T. (2012) Serum amyloid A isoforms in serum and milk from cows with Staphylococcus aureus subclinical mastitis. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 145, 120–128. |
2. Cabana, V. G., Siegel, J. N., and Sabesin, S. M. (1989) Effects of the acute phase response on the concentration and density distribution of plasma lipids and apolipoproteins. J. Lipid Res. 30, 39–49.
3. Uhlar, C. M. and Whitehead, A. S. (1999) Serum amyloid A, the major vertebrate acute-phase reactant. Eur. J. Biochem. 265, 501–523.
4. Eckersall, P. D., Young, F. J., McComb, C., Hogarth, C. J., Safi, S., Weber, A., McDonald, T., Nolan, A. M., and Fitzpatrick, J. L. (2001) Acute phase proteins in serum and milk from dairy cows with clinical mastitis. Vet. Rec. 148, 35–41.
5. Jacobsen, S., Andersen, P. H., Toelboell, T., and Heegaard, P. M. H. (2004) Dose Dependency and Individual Variability of the Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Bovine Acute Phase Protein Response. J. Dairy Sci. 87, 3330–3339.
6. McDonald, T. L., Larson, M. A., Mack, D. R., and Weber, A. (2001) Elevated extrahepatic expression and secretion of mammary-associated serum amyloid A 3 (M-SAA3) into colostrum. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 83, 203–211.